Permanent PS3 YLOD Solution: How to Get Your PlayStation 3 Working Correctly Again
The PS3 YLOD is a very annoying and very common problem that console owners can experience at any time.
It seems to appear without warning, destroys game scores, ruins the enjoyment of watching Blu-ray movies, and is generally a nasty problem.
So what’s the problem with PS3 YLOD anyway?
Well, as you probably know by now, the “yellow light of death “ It is a hardware problem caused by your PS3 overheating.
This sounds like a very generic statement, and in all honesty it is. But there is not just one cause of the PS3 YLOD, we will cover the reasons in the next section.
You can tell immediately that your console is experiencing the error by the small flashing yellow light on the front of the console (it is the light closest to the outer edge). If you see this light blinking, it means that your PlayStation 3 has been a victim of YLOD.
What Causes PS3 YLOD Problem?
In essence, when the console overheats to such a degree, a few things can happen inside the guts of the machine.
These might be;
- Heat expansion – This is where the components that make up the actual hardware can become disconnected from each other due to intense heat build-up inside the console. Think of your PS3 as a hamburger. The burger “works” best when the meat, salad, and sauce are together. But if one of these ingredients falls out, the burger (your PS3) suffers a “disconnect” and just doesn’t work … hope that makes sense!
- Weld casting – Another possible and far more serious reason is fusion welding. This is where the temperature inside your console gets so high that the little metallic “droplets” of solder actually melt! This sounds a lot more serious, and believe me it is. If your console has suffered the yellow light of death due to this reason, I am afraid your options will be quite limited.
Simple steps you can take to resolve the YLOD error
A permanent PS3 YLOD solution is actually easier to implement than you might think.
First of all, there are some easy checks and tasks to do, you need to do these before decide to do anything. These steps are;
- Give it a break! If you are like me, you love to play. And if you’re like me, you can play for hours, sometimes all day. We won’t explain why this is bad for your health as I’m sure you already know the tips on this. But your console is an electrical equipment that can reach very high temperatures during use. The longer you play, the higher the temperature can rise. So in the first instance of experiencing the YLOD, turn off the console and unplug it from the electrical outlet. Let it sit for about 30 minutes to cool immediately. You may find that this is enough to fix the problem.
- Air quality – The PS3 is like you in this regard. It works best with clean, fresh air. If your room is stuffy and warm inside then it’s the perfect match to cause PS3 YLOD problem. If possible, try to keep a window open in your room, check that there is good air circulation inside the room as well. Keep the console cool with access to fresh air as often as possible
- Loose Connections? – It is always worth checking the cables between your console and the power supply. If the cable is loose, it “might” not be supplying a clean power connection to the console. To guarantee everybody The cables between the console and the electrical outlet are secure at all times.
- The hard drive – Remember we talked about heat expansion in the last section? Well this is a classic example. Remove and insert the hard drive from the PS3, as this is a common area where heat expansion can occur. Push it home firmly (but not hard) and retest the console
Hopefully, now that you’ve read this article, you realize that a permanent PS3 YLOD fix is not only possible, it could also turn out to be quite easy to do.